Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothers and Sons


In my Bible I have two Mother's Day momentos. If the ho
use was on fire, that Bible with those two things is the first item I'd rescue.

One is a letter written by my elder son when he was a sophomore in college. Here is an excerpt:

"You have always been an example of faith and perseverance to me. You never
do give up. You always have faith that things will work out
. That is always a
source of strength to me. Mom, thanks for being my confidant. I a
lways
remember spending vast amounts of time just laying (or is it
lying?) on your bed
and just talking to you. You always put down what you were doing to talk to
me. Thanks, that means a lot..."


I wept for fifteen minutes after reading the whole letter. I've read it many times over the years and cried every time. You always hear about young people that never appreciate their parents until they're at least in their thirties, but I never felt more loved and appreciated than through this example of gratitude from a twenty-year-old.

The second is a card given to me by my younger son as a junior in college. Here is a tear-jerker excerpt: (this is pre-Stacie!)

"How do you tell the single most important woman in your life what a
difference she's made--or how many times the sound of her voi
ce has
lifted your spirit and given you the courage to keep followin
g the path
of your dreams?"


I'm already starting to cry again!


What a joy these boys have been to me! We've rocked, read,
swam, hiked, played baseball and football, ridden horses, skied, sang, flown, sight seen, fished, agreed, disagreed, overlooked one another's imperfections, laughed and cried together. They've trusted me with secrets, changed flat tires, opened doors, pulled out chairs, driven me around, and in general treated me like a queen. I cannot recall one time either one of them ever embarrassed me. I spanked them and loved them as hard as I could. When I'm tempted, usually on Mother's Day, to look back and regret all the things that as a momI did wrong, I shut that down quickly because I know they love me anyway. And I know that wherever I missed it, God is big enough to fill in the gaps!



At the San Saba River



"No, son, we're not taking him back. We're keeping him!"


Trait, Ty and I (You can't see Ty yet!)






Sons are never too old to rock!!





No comments:

Post a Comment