Monday, March 2, 2009

Texas, Our Texas!


"Texas, our Texas all hail the mighty state,
Texas, our Texas, so wonderful, so great!
Boldest and grandest, withstanding every test,
O Empire wide and glorious, you stand supremely blest!"


Marking Texas Independence today caused me to reflect on what a great state it is.

A few weeks ago, during a family gathering, we were discussing how Texas could just pull out and make it just fine on its own. I mean, really, we have ports, forests, deserts, lakes, mountains, oil, wind farms, hunting, bluebonnets, Texas Rangers, Don't Mess With Texas, and Aggies! We are one of the most fiscally independent states, being second highest in gross state product and also one of only four states that operates in the black. Texas has also been labeled the most business-friendly state.

I was born and raised in Waco, Texas. Presently, I live only a few miles from the official geographical center of Texas. I have resided in El Paso and Waco, and some places in between, including Van Horn, San Angelo, and now Brady. There's no other place on earth like Texas. Every time I travel out of state, the moment I re-enter, crossing that Red River, I say, "Oh, yeah, back home again!" Recently in the news about Texas is the border conflict at El Paso and Ciudad Juarez. State Senator Dan Patrick made several futile attempts at getting Washington to notice and take action. (I guess border conflicts don't rate in the earmark program!) Finally, Governor Perry sent in the Texas National Guard. Hey, what more do we need? After all, it's Texas.

I have a special interest in Texas Indepedence. My great-great grandfather on my father's side, Stephen Williams, fought in not only the Revolutionary War, but also in the Texas Revolution. He aided in the capture of San Antonio in 1835. Recently, it was brought to my attention, through an article in Texas Monthly, that he is buried in Austin the congressional cemetery. I am excited to share that with my grandchildren and take them to visit there someday. It is as though a part of Texas legacy is just for me and mine.

I guess every state has some claim to fame, but I say, Texas, Our Texas all hail the mighty state!




2 comments:

  1. Wow, Mom, that's cool. I did not know that we had a relative who fought in the Texas Revolution. Very cool. I'd like to hear more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! That is cool, and I loved all the great points about Texas, it just really is the best:)

    ReplyDelete