Monday, March 30, 2009

Of Linens and Legacy...


People stay at my house on a regular basis so I always try and keep the beds ready. A couple of weekends ago an evangelist friend and his wife, and also the music minister stayed with us as they conducted a cowboy camp meeting in our town. Today I was changing the linens and getting the beds back in shape for my next round, which will likely be my sister and her family this coming weekend, as the children have a 4H rifle shooting meet close to here.

I have a special way of folding my linens. I used to just hurriedly do the best I could, as I dreaded folding that pesky fitted sheet. My linen closet always looked like a storm had blown through. A few years ago one of my good friends, Mary Ann, taught me, via our mutual housekeeper, a great way to fold the sheets. I tweaked it a little, and I now have the most organized closet ever! A couple of weeks ago I was helping Mary Ann at her house because she had fallen and hurt her foot. The next day she asked me if I had folded a set of sheets. "Were they folded the way WE fold them???" I asked. " Absolutely not, she had replied. "Then I didn't do it." I went on to ask her how she ever came to fold them that way. She said the HER mother had started that in order for the sheets to stack nicely in her small closet. Last summer when I helped my son and daughter-in-law move into their new home, one of my assignments was to pack the linen closet. I grouped and folded all the sheet sets that way. Now it's passed all around!

2 comments:

  1. I don't even want to use my linens because they looked so great after you folded them. You can tell where I've been folding and where you folded! Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey, I can't stand for my linen closet to be messy. I have to have all the sheets folded flat (including the fitted ones) and placed in sets with the pillow cases on top. My whole house can be and is a mess, but my linen closet is neat and organized. In fact, my clothes closets, dresser drawers, etc. just have to be neat and organized. The rest of the house can be in a disorganized shambles, but if those areas are not neat, I feel like a failure. I know it should be the opposit; no one can see the inside of those areas. Just one of my weird idiosyncrasies, I suppose. Poor Molly, to have a mother-in-law with such quirks!

    Love your blog,
    Reba

    ReplyDelete